Saturday, April 9, 2011

Everest Trek, Day 6 - Dingboche

Yesterday in Tengboche, several of us got up early to visit the monastery there. It is the main monastery for the Khumbu region and a very beautiful and inspirational place. It was a great pleasure to sit on cushions in the main hall while the Buddhist monks chanted.

We left Tengboche around 8:30 and hiked down through the forest on trails high above the river. Each morning of this trip has been absolutely beautiful - sunny, blue skies, 16 - 18,000 peaks rising all around us. Throughout the day, we continually pass yaks, other trekkers, and Sherpas carrying amazing loads of supplies on their backs.

This day's hike was a bit easier than the last two - we actually had some rolling hills this time amid the steep inclines and descents. We've been doing 9 km a day, but it's really the altitude that's the main issue. I started to get headaches yesterday from the altitude, so I'm going to have to watch how I feel in the next day or so.

We arrived in Dingboche around 4:00 yesterday afternoon. By now several of the group who've been sick have gotten better and one young woman from Australia has gotten worse. Tashi called for a horse for her yesterday, so she road to Dingboche. (Did I mention that Taski and Lhakpa use cell phones throughout the day to stay in touch since the group gets spread out? They also use them to call porters to come help people with their packs or, in this case, to bring a horse to carry a sick woman.)

We're at 14,100 feet now. There are no roads here at all and we're starting to see helicopters buzz by overhead to evacuate sick people from higher in the mountains. This morning when I woke up, we had ice on the inside of the window in our room and there was about an inch of snow on the ground. I still have the headache, so I only did 1/2 of today's acclimazation hike and will now go back and rest. Tomorrow we climb to over 16,000 feet and I need to get better. My legs are strong but the headaches could be a problem.

This will be my last posting for awhile since there's no Internet above Dingboche.

3 comments:

  1. Keeping our fingers crossed for the headaches to subside. I suffered with them in Colorado this past year when Steph and I went up to Estes Park. Fortunately they went away in about 36 hours after acclimatization. That is our hope for you. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate ... I'm sure I don't have to say that but there it is anyway ... Thinking of you. Tony and Steph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hiker : ) I absolutely LOVE reading your entries; sounds like the scenery is everything you expected and more. And don't EVEN get me started on the monastery...JEALOUS, JEALOUS, JEALOUS!

    Take care, good luck, and - as Tony suggested - hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Can't wait to read what's next ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to your next post! Even though I live in Colorado, headaches are common when we head to the hills and don't drink enough....H20.
    Safe travels,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete