Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Everest Trek, Day 3 - Namche Bazaar

We started our day at Namche with a stunning view from our windows of a row of towering mountains covered in snow on a brilliantly sunny morning. Breaktaking scene to wake up to.

At 8:30, after a hardy breakfast, we headed out on our acclimatization hike up to the Sagarmatha National Park Headquarters and then the Everest View Hotel, the highest (altitude-wise) star rated hotel in the world. Those first 15 minutes were tough, climbing the steps up and out of Namche. But we soon crossed what seemed to be a ranch of small yaks (ghopkes) and entered the National Park land. From there we had our first view of Mt. Everest, hidden mostly behind a rugged mountain ridge. From this viewpoint, we had a 360 degree view of the Himalayas, all jagged peaks and snow. We learned a little about the Sherpa people, and the culture, Buddhism, and wildlife in the area at a small museum there and then headed up to Syangboche (12,795 ft).

It was another tough climb and for the first time I was feeling a bit weak. The air is noticably thinner here and even though we walked at a slow pace, I had to push myself along. As I did yesterday for the last hour coming up to Namche, when it got really tough, I tried to practice a walking meditation by focusing on my breathing as I took each step: inhale, one step, exhale, one step. Repeat 3,000 times. I made it to the ridgeline and bounced back a bit, strength-wise.

At the Everest View Hotel, which sits on a ridge facing one of the greatest views in the world, we had tea and snacks/candy bars before heading back down again. This was our first true descent, and I really took my time. These steep slopes are a hazard on the knees and even with the trekking poles, I could feel it as I went down the mountain. I moved along very slowly. I can feel my quad muscles pretty good right now, so I'll have to see how things go tomorrow.

After lunch we had a look around Namche. Some of the younger folks who had been traveling through Southeast Asia or South America before coming to Nepal needed to pick up some heavier clothing and many of us needed snacks, toilet paper, and other things we may have forgotten. We just found out that this is known as the "windy season" and we're really feeling it from time to time.

The people in my group range in age from 19 to 69, and it's getting very interesting to see how people do as the days go on. Several had to give up their daypacks to porters yesterday and really struggled today. These have been pretty tough climbs, especially if you didn't bother or have time to train. But overall, the more mature members of the group are holding up very well, I'm happy to report.

Tomorrow we head to Tengboche (12,664 ft) with its famous Buddhist monastery, which I've been looking forward to seeing. I don't believe I'll have the Internet (or another shower) for at least two days when we get to Dingboche (14,271 ft). That will be the highest altitude I've ever reached - things will be getting serious.

Namaste.

1 comment:

  1. Not surprised you felt better with the "inhale, one step, exhale, one step " technique ... The rhythm of the breath is the key ... Good call on that. Keep doing that ... The perceived effort will be reduced. I do it on the bike all the time .. i.e. Breathe in 3 pedal strokes, breathe out 2 pedal strokes repeat etc. Always reduces the "perceived" effort. Helps shift the focus of the mind from the discomfort of the effort to the relaxation of the breath. Namaste

    ReplyDelete